Labels

Monday, January 18, 2016

Special Guest Post: Heartless by Kelly Martin

You may recall that in my Phantom of the Opera review, I mentioned I was inspired by my good friend Kelly Martin. What you may not know is that Kelly is a brilliant author! She's written more books than I could ever even dream of writing (almost 20!) and she has a brand new book that was just released. For my birthday, even! Almost like she planned it that way...


I've read the first few chapters. I'm hooked. You can bet I'll be writing a review of it when I'm finished (which may take a while. Kids, you know...) but for now, here's Kelly herself to tell you a thing or two about the book.

*     *     *
When I was younger, I had a recurring nightmare...

Well, I suppose it depends on what you call a 'nightmare'.

I dreamed that it was Christmas, and I was at my mother's house. Everybody was there. I, being largely pregnant with triplets, sat on the couch. I could hear the backdoor open and see a bag of presents. I knew it was my husband. But I never saw his face.

Never.

Not in the entire 15 years I had that dream on and off.

I never saw his face.

I suppose it slightly came true. I have 3 kids (not triplets, but the number is right). And my husband does bring presents in a big bag to my mother's on Christmas-- except now I can see his handsome face.

Recurring dreams are weird. I should just get that out of the way.

I also have this recurring dream where I live in a house, a HUGE house. Like massive house. Half of it is sealed off and is haunted, but for some reason, I always end up on that side of the house. There is a rose bedroom where the bathtub fills up itself, the faucets come on, and you can always smell lavender. Also, the door won't stay open. It always shuts when I go inside-- in my dream of course.

I have no idea what that one means, but I know it's not my favorite. It is a FREAKY house with freaky furniture and the ghosts... oh the ghosts. #shivers

I've said all of that to say this--please tell me I'm not alone in my recurring dream quirk. Do you have them? Do you think they mean something? Leave a comment and let's chat.

I think that's where I got the idea of Gracen having these dreams in Heartless. I don't have 'demons' in my dreams torturing me but... GHOSTS! #homoijwnoijaniewanusudnah #thud

I think the idea of dreams, inception dreams, recurring dreams are facinating. Who knows why we dream? Or why we dream what we dream? I love that part of Heartless too. Gracen knows she's dreaming, but when her dreams start spilling out into the real world is when she freaks out.


If I ever get stuck in a haunted house with a rose bedroom--or pregnant with triplets--please, come help me.


*     *     *
So there you have it. I hope you're looking forward to reading it as much as I am. This girl has got some epic talent and I can't wait to find out what happens next. I'll be posting a bit more about her below so you can check her out, buy her books, virtually stalk her (please, just virtually. Don't hang outside her house hiding in the bushes late at night. Unless your name is Jared Padalecki or Jensen Ackles. In which case, please do.) You keep on writing, Kelly! I promise not to fangirl too hard when I actually meet you some day. But bring the smelling salts. You know...just in case....


About Kelly Martin:

Kelly Martin writes paranormal, contemporary, historical, and YA fiction. She has been married for over ten years and has three rowdy, angelic daughters. When she's not writing, she loves taking pictures of abandoned houses, watching horror gamers on YouTube-- even though she's a huge wimp-- and drinking decaf white chocolate mochas. She's a total fangirl, loves the 80s and 90s, and has a sad addiction to paranormal TV shows. {Basically, she likes creepy stuff.} Her favorite characters are the very flawed 'good guys'--and 'bad guys' who don't know they are evil. She loves giving her readers books with unexpected twists and turns, but (here's a hint) most of her books have the ending spelled out in the first chapter. See if you can figure it out.

If you ever have a question or comment, feel free to email her at kellymartin215@yahoo.com ♥
You can follow her writing adventure at www.kellymartinbooks.com

Links:
Instagram: https://instagram.com/kellymartin215/
Newsletter: http://kellymartinbooks.blogspot.com/p/subscribe-to-our-newsletter.html
"Nerd" group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1451773008377850/
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Kelly-Martin/e/B009O5CZL4/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KellyMartinAuthor
Twitter: https://twitter.com/martieKay
Tumblr: martiekay.tumblr.com
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/KMBooks
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6552501.Kelly_Martin
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBSQGJ5gViQ-0ajHRvWUqaA


3 comments:

  1. I loved this book.

    As for recurring dreams I have one. It started after my grandma passed away when I was 12.
    In it I go out to the old farm just to look around and discover my entire family there including my grandparents. They were all hiding from me, when asked why they let me believe they were dead the answer was simple. They didn't love me and I was a disappointment.
    I always hated that dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have a recurring dream and you,Kelly, are going to hear the first time I have told anyone but my husband.
    When I was very young, I had a very detailed dream.It was so real to me that although I had realized it WAS a dream, I thought it was a dream about people I actually knew.I told everyone around me that I had a dream about my friends, and described them.I believed that the place they lived was just a road up from where were lived,a side street that we never rode down. I was surprised when we actually did go down that road and I did not see the buildings and houses I expected to see. The dream was not terrible, but there were some very bothersome aspects of it that led to a series of dreams that were shorter and frightening. They lasted until I was an adult,always with a similar situation and an undefined fear; they became more frightening each time.As they recurred, I found that what I was afraid of were people and in one of the last,I heard them speak a foreign language, a language I had very little exposure to in my life. I was bothered so badly by this that I thought of only one recourse, to take lessons in the language. I only took lessons for a couple of months and didn't learn much ,but the dreams stopped and have not returned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley: FANTASTIC BOOK!!!!! 15 minutes of reading here and there and you'll get it done in no time!
    Kelly: I used to have a recurring dream when I was much younger. When the dream started I would always walk into this bathroom where my two younger brothers were screaming (why was it a bathroom?). For some reason I would huddle them into the corner and and shield them. When I turned to put myself in front of them there was this man and he would always toss me a gun and tell me to pick one to kill. I never picked and I'd always wake up right then.
    I haven't had that dream in many years though. I also don't really dream.... at all... ever... well, that's not true. I *RARELY* dream and when I do it's ALWAYS a nightmare. I don't have good dreams. Never. Ever. As long as I can remember they've always been terrible.

    ReplyDelete